Traveling can be immensely rewarding. You get the chance to unwind from the daily chores of life and explore a new place, culture, history and local people. Have you ever considered the idea of doing more on a vacation? Many frequent travelers often choose to add more purpose to their vacations, and that doesn’t have to be about spending a fortune. The whole concept is often known as volunteer vacation or voluntourism. It is all about exploring a new place while working for the local communities. You get to enjoy as much as you would expect on a vacation, but with a better meaning to the entire journey. Here are some of the fast facts that you need to know!
- Volunteering abroad can be quite fun and engaging, but it is important to choose the right project. Try to understand the kind of work that interests you. For most of these projects, a person doesn’t need to have a specific set of skills, but there is more to do more than just traveling. If you are new to the concept, choose a program with smaller duration, ideally between two to three weeks.
- It is pretty easy to understand that these programs don’t pay the volunteers, so one has to arrange for the entire trip. Thankfully, you can choose between lots of destinations, and there are some amazing services that can offer fixed price packages. Check if you can afford a certain program and try to keep at least 20% of the entire cost in your account, so that urgent requirements and emergencies can be handled easily.
- One of the major considerations for such projects is safety. You need to be assured about the viability of the stay and overall services offered. Usually, volunteers share a home or dormitory with others, with a common kitchen, and you may have a bus or other travel option that must be shared, as well. Check the facilities and overall range of services offered before you make the final commitment.
- Some projects may be more physically demanding than others. Look for projects that have a meaning for your mind and soul. From simple beach cleaning tasks to something like volunteering in Thailand teach physical education, the options can be many. Understand the entire program in detail and check the brochures to know if you can handle the work and labor needed.
- Finally, don’t miss on checking the local facts. Many projects are for a limited period, while others may only take a few volunteers each season. It is always a better idea to book such programs in advance, especially when you are sure of the travel dates. Talk to the organizers directly about the time you will get to explore the place and whether you will need to pay anything beyond the actual price.
With the right volunteer program, your vacations can mean a lot more. Just check online on the right portals and choose a destination that interests you!